Sunday, October 23, 2011

Routine

Routine:

Most people like routine and thrive in structured environments.   I had my first Chemo infusion on the same day I had my chest port placed in. Honestly, I just wanted to get the show on the road.  I had all of this done at Morristown Memorial.  My following chemo appointments were done in a different building in Parsippany.  It is a smaller facility (more homey) and closer to my house.  Many different people have taken me to my appointments. They have had the opportunity to experience what a typical chemo appointment is like.  Here is a tour of a typical day.

First the waiting room.

I am usually in the waiting room for a few minutes. I sign in and pay.  Yes, each visit requires payment.  By the time I am done paying, the nurse comes and calls my name. I usually don't sit down because we wait in this area for a few minutes.

Then we go to the waiting area for blood work.
I took a picture of Stephen in this area.  I sit in these chairs before I get my finger pricked and after I get pricked while I wait for the doctor.

Here is the Red chair that I sit in to get my finger pricked to have my levels checked.  They need to make sure that my white blood count is good as well as my hemoglobin levels.  If anything is not up to par, I can't not have my infusion.

While I get my finger pricked, the nurse gives me a vile to hold on to.  This vile is used by the nurses to draw blood from my chest port.  I am supposed to keep track of the vile to hand to the nurses.  There was once incident where I lost it.  Lindsey was convinced that it was in my pocket.  It was no where to be found.  At the following appointment the doctor told me that I had left it in the examining room.
Here I am holding my very important vile.



The next place I go is to the examining room to be checked out by the doctor. 



After the doctor examines me I get to chat with her in her office.  First we talk about how the past two weeks went. Then we discuss the next step in the journey.

After I speak with the doctor, she draws up the orders for infusion.  I then go to the "chair" and wait for the nurses to access my port and get the infusion started.

The Chair:

I usually take the first chair.  It is next to a wall and gives me a little more privacy to watch my movies/Friends episodes at a loud volume.  There is a tv in the room and most of the people try to sit near it. I stay away from it so I can hear what I am watching.  During the infusion I usually get really cold.  I usually dress in layers and make sure I have thick socks on to help keep me warm.  There are times that I need a blanket because I am so cold and can't warm up.

Here I am hanging with my pump which is pumping the poison into my body through my chest port.  Next to me I have my water and food bag. I usually bring a whole bag of food.  I will eat the entire time I am there.  Lindsey can vouch for this. As a creature of routine, I usually bring the same things. I know that I have to stock up on food.  Once I leave the appointment, I get the "rocks in my mouth" taste and won't eat for a while.

I am creature of routine.  I have worn the same clothes for each infusion (except the first one).  I wear a gray long sleeve shirt.  The shirt is very comfy and stretches so my port can be accessed easily.  I also wear a jacket to help keep me warm.  I wear a long khaki skirt (thank you Devorah for giving it to me).  It is long and keeps my longs warm.  I also wear thick socks (as mentioned before).  I usually will wear my flip flops.  My feet fall asleep if I wear my sneakers because I keep crossing my legs to try and get comfortable.


October 24th:  That date could not arrive fast enough. It is my last scheduled chemo infusion.  Here is what I will be wearing when I walk into that first waiting room.  (Thanks Elisa, fellow warrior, for my awesome shirt).


I have already warned the nurses that I would be wearing it and they can't get anything on it!  Fingers crossed that my levels are fine and we can get on with the show....


7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your experience... while it's certainly not walking in your shoes, it really does give me a glimpse at what your every-other-Monday has been like. I love tomorrow's shirt. Will be thinking of you as you're getting your levels checked and graduating from this stage of your journey. I know you will do nothing but kick cancer's butt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will all be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping for your graduation. Love you so much.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is your best post yet, for several reasons. The most important reason is you smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be strong and remember you are in our prayers always...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the walk through. I didn't realize it was so extensive. I am so happy that this is your graduation day and that shirt is awesome! One chapter in this journey is ending and you have just started to tap into your strength. I am honored to know you and will be there for you however I can every step of the way.

    Happy graduation Rachel =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that you graduated with honors today, and that you can begin the next step in your journey. It's been a while since I am able to post to your blog. Friend me on facebook, so we can play words with Friends in the wee hours. I'm up at odd times. Keep looking to the future, I pray it holds good things for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO funny... just read this AFTER I sent you the smilebox.... scary how we were on the same wave length!! I cracked up when I saw Pomp and cirumstance (when you see the smile box you'll know why!)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete