Monday, October 24, 2011

Graduation:

Graduation:

What an emotionally filled day.  I was quite nervous today. It was my last infusion. I have stayed healthy and had all my infusions on the scheduled date. This is a huge deal in a cancer patient's life.  Today I was nervous that my levels would not be up to par and the infusion would be pushed back. I had a little cold or allergies this past week which caused me to be very anxious. I paced the house this morning until it was time to leave.  We went through the regular routine.  My levels checked out great.  Then, my port was accessed and the pre-meds were infused.  Wow!  What a relief.  I was able to sit back and close my eyes a little while I listened to Friends in the background and my cousin saying "are you sleeping?"

Me with my "vile" and my awesome shirt.  I was proud to wear my shirt and showed it to everyone. When I first started chemo, October 24th was millions of days away.  It had finally come and I made sure that I made the best of it.

My cousin Lindsey came today with me. She has been amazing throughout this process. She has spent countless hours sitting with me while I was administered my poison.  She has helped me stay warm and safely get to the bathroom.  She has provided comfort and laughter.  She has come to my house when I need a lending hand during the terrible joint pain experiences.  She has come over for a few minutes here and there just to be there for me.  It has made me realize that is what family is all about.  I would never have made it through 8 infusions without you Lindsey.  You have been a rock and  I will never ever forget what you have done for me.  Thank you and I love you.

.

Lindsey protecting the "vile" so I don't lose it this time.......and Kimmie spilling her tea.


Today I had the added company of Lindsey's sister Kimmie.  Together the two of them provided great entertainment for me.  I had one one each side of me.  What a way to graduate.  They kept me laughing and smiling and were there to ask all the questions that I couldn't think of.  Kimmie is one of the nurses in the family.  She had some great questions for the doctor and nurses today.  Things that I never thought about and were very important to know.  Kimmie along with my other cousin Rebecca have given me my Neualasta shot the day after my infusion.  Kimmie, thank you for giving me the shot.  You saved me a trip back to the chemo place.  You let me hang out in my pj's and stay in the comfort of my home where I truly want to be.  You came after your long shifts to help me.  You came when you were not up to driving and found a ride over to help me out.  Thank again for all those shots.  I love you for them......and hate you 24 hours after you stab me.


Yea!  Nurse Kimmie came to hang out with me while I graduated chemo.

After I graduated from Chemo my cousins took me to Carvel.  My doctor gave me a whole speech about after all "this" is over I have to have a life change. I will have to pass by the Carvel.  Little does she know that before I was diagnosed, I rarely ate the food that I loved. I went more than a year without ice cream and chocolate.  Little did she know before diagnosis I was running 9 minute miles 3-4 days a week.  I would usually try to do at least 4 miles during each workout.  Little did she know that my fanatic exercise was the reason that I found the mass which started this roller coaster.  Little does she know that I yearn for my treadmill and the days that I can physically walk or jog I use my treadmill and walk/jog those 4 miles.  Not a 9 minute mile pace but I do it regardless.  Little did she know that during treatment I went 2 infusions without ice cream and exercised and lost zero pounds.  This conversation was a low point in the day.  Stopping by Carvel was very uplifting for me today. Thanks Kimmie for making the executive decision and just driving there.  At Carvel, I picked up a little cake to celebrate graduation with my family. At the last minute, I invited over family and some friends. I couldn't really plan something more in advance because I didn't want to jinx myself. I didn't want to plan something and then my levels not be right.  It was all on a whim.  Don't worry Dr. I didn't eat any of the cake.

Touchdown!  I did it!

Party Time!  Aunt Judy why are you not on the couch with everyone else?  Thank you Rebecca for your card.  That was very thoughtful of you.  You need to get me a cape so I can wear it at the next stage of this journey.  Thank you Elisa for stopping by. I guess I put my camera away when you came. I will catch you at the next bridge and make sure I get some snap shots of us together fighting and winning this battle.











Wearing my graduation hat and throwing it in the air!   Yes those are my honor cords from high school.

Everyone of all ages shared in the ice cream festivities.









Some get excited over ice cream and another gets excited over candles!  Thanks Uncle Mike/Monkey for posing with the candle.


Now for a little Friends clip:  I am technologically challenged.  Just cut and paste the below link and watch the little clip.  Thanks Mitch for finding this.  I tried and failed.  You need to watch it before you watch the other video.



http://vimeo.com/31030187



Listen close and see if you can hear a man's voice in the video.  It connects to the previous Friends clip.  I am sorry that the video is sideways. I am again technologically challenged and couldn't turn it.


  At the end of infusion.  Done!  Finished! No more Chemo!  Over! Moving on!  Next bridge here I come with my support team right next to me!

5 comments:

  1. LOVED THIS ONE THE MOST!!
    You have come a long way, baby!! ANd yes, I did hear a man say "It's the wedding march" in your video (that was planned, right? too funny after the Friends clip)
    Sooooooooo sorry I didn't make it over for cake tonight.... Honor Society parent's meeting. Believe it or not, Kim and I put this on the calendar before school ended last year, I believe.
    I LOVE the shirt!! We have a surprise for you to wear on Sunday... ugh, guess it's not really a surprise anymore is it?
    Tomorrow is hat day... I will be dressed from head to toe in my pink ribbon clothing!!
    I am so excited for you...
    Rest my dear friend and please know how happy I am that you went thru chemo with only one small roadblock at the beginning!! Wish I could have been at the last chemo with your cousins, too. I can just imagine everyone's faces when they saw there was a graduation party going on in your corner!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Graduate! Once you made it with great determination and a positive attitude! Dad and I are very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Rachel. I'm so impressed that you got them all on time with no bad blood levels. Onto the next chapter......

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I miss this post? I love it and I am so happy that the first leg of this race is behind you. That is so funny that the man said wedding...how fitting. Was it Joey Tribiani?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on finishing Chemo. I'm glad that you had your health and strength to get through each week. I loved reading this post and seeing the great pics of you and your family celebrating.

    ReplyDelete