Sunday, December 25, 2011

learning


Learning:

We have all learned that being diagnosed with Cancer is life changing.  I have learned many things throughout this journey.
I have learned that I need to ask for help.

I have learned that you always need your mom to help you heal when you are sick.

I have learned that I can handle Chemo.

I have learned that I can handle a bilateral mastectomy.

I have learned that I know a lot of talented cooks (thanks for the yummy meals.)

I have learned that it truly takes a community to raise kids.

I have learned that it hurts like hell to use my arms but I need to use my arms to do almost anything.

I have learned that my children can do laundry.  I do not have the arm strength to open the dryer.  However, my children can and get excited when asked to help out.  They also enjoy using the stool to reach the clothes out of the washing machine.  This has brought laundry to a whole new level.

I have learned that two drains is better than four. I learned that the drains go pretty far inside (had to sneak a peek when they pulled it out).  And of course, having no drains is the best of all.

I have learned how to dress myself without inflicting pain on myself.  I can dress myself now and that is a huge accomplishment.  Don’t get me wrong, I am no speed demon when it comes to putting on clothes.

I have learned that the weeks leading up to surgery lasted forever.  The weeks after surgery have flown by. At first, I got out of bed and tried to work through the pain.  Those first few days were all a blur (probably due to the pain medicine I was on).  Then as the weeks went by I tried to do more and more things for myself.  For example, I washed my dishes or tried to reach for the phone.

I have learned that you can still learn things from your high school teacher even though you graduated many moons ago.
I have learned that “framily” means:

n. Friends or blood relatives to whom we would actually choose to be related, because the relationship is mutually respectful, close, supporting and affectionate. The favorite people in our lives we would include in our family, whether they are blood-related or not, typically because we love them.
I have learned that I have a heck of a lot of “framily.”

I have learned what a true friendship is.  In times of crisis, sometimes people shy away.  They don’t know what to say or do.  Then there is the other group of people that rise up and shine.  They may not have been the ones that you were not really close with.  However, they make all the difference in your recovery.  The text, phone call, or card brightens your spirit and gives you the motivation to get moving and heal.

I have learned that your best friends are called that for a reason.

I have learned that the best present ever was a pre-surgery present from my friend’s mom.  She sent me these bags with pillows for my arms.  The bags hang on my shoulders but keep my arms from touching my sides.  This was the best thing ever.  I could not have my arms touching due to the sharp shooting pain.  My left arm is particularly bad from the lymph node removal.  Thank you so much Mrs. Ferraris for my present.  It really got me through those first few days.  Thank you Mr. Ferraris for picking out the fabric.

I have learned that Ardith Collins is absolutely awesome!  I sort of knew this already but she has sealed the deal by skyping with me so I could watch the holiday concert at my school.  I loved listening to all the students sing and play.  I truly felt a part of things.  We all know how important this is to me since I have not been able to go back to work. 

Check out her band and listen to her sing and play. 

I have learned that I miss hanging out with my little brother.  I truly enjoyed our time together.  He was absolutely wonderful.   He helped take care of my children.  He cooked for me.  He took me to my doctor appointments.  He went shopping for me.  Most importantly he entertained Shua and kept him happy when I didn’t have the strength to handle him.

I have learned that my brother knows a lot of information.  I have learned that he can make me forget about the pain by telling me something that he knows or has recently learned. 

I have learned a lot of new words (from my brother). I can remember some of their meanings.

I have learned that “bad boy” and “get down” are half of Shua’s vocabulary.

I have learned that I can still fill in a U.S. map starting from the farthest west point and work my way east ending in Maine in a certain about of time.

As a teacher I know that there is always something new to learn.  I love to teach others but it is just as important to learn from others.

3 comments:

  1. Rachel,
    Your posts teach me a lot about humanity, love, caring, sharing and courage. Your openness in talking about your journey allowed me to connect to you and learn from your strength. I continue to be here on the sidelines, cheering you on past the next stops in your journey until your ride is complete. The power or email and words with friends has been great for me to be able to communicate with you. May you continue to grow stronger and healthier every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, you are simply AWESOME - and an inspiration to all of us who are blessed to have crossed paths with you in good times and in not so good.
    Continue.. being YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rachel, From one teacher to another ...
    I have learned big time from you! Cannot wait for your full recovery when you will be moving physically at the same warp speed that your mind moves at :) Just got mom's email about work, I know there will be some very happy students waiiting for you. love Sharon

    ReplyDelete