Thursday, December 15, 2011

Aaron

Aaron:

I have been telling Aaron that he would get his own entry on my blog.

Background: when I was in college I had to have surgery. It was over winter break. The turn of the century. All my friends were partying it up and I was laying on my stomach healing. My younger brother Aaron was laying on the floor reading teen magazine to me. ( he claims he doesn't remember this at all). While everyone was having fun, we bonded and he kept me company. That moment has stayed with me. I was not allowed to drive for a certain amount of time. I needed a fancy dress for a formal. Aaron drove me to the mall and went dress shopping with me. (he also claims he doesn't remember this). Here is how the experience went:

Me "what do you think of this one?"
Aaron "sure"
Me "do you really like it or are you just saying it so I stop trying on dresses and we can leave?"
Aaron "sure"


Today Aaron drove me to the mall. I wanted to buy a winter vest for the cold but not super cold days. I figured it would be easier to get my arms into a vest than a jacket. It was a fun experience. There were moments where Aaron made me really laugh. I enjoyed our time together. Before we left, I told Aaron a list of all things I needed to get. He has a fantastic memory. Of course in his "Aaron-ness" he re-arranged all my items into a silly sentence. (we did get everything that we set out for). The list reminded us both of "a loaf of bread, stick of butter, and a carton of milk." It made me smile to remember this phrase from Sesame Street. Aaron says he doesn't remember seeing this clip but clearly remembers our older brothers repeating it over and over.

After we got home, Aaron started making me my lunch. Pictures to follow. I sat down and played some WWF. I was tired from the excursion and knew sitting down would let me rest up. Aaron came over and looked at my boards a few times. Background (he used to play at scrabble tournaments and has memorized a lot, a lot of words). Here are some of the conversations:

Aaron "do you know what you can put in front of the word jar?"
Me "a?"
Aaron "yup" ( starts to walk away)
Me "but I don't have an 'a'?"
Aaron " I know"

Another board
Aaron "oh you can play a 'd' before the word 'Jin' it means the same thing.
Me" oh, ok, wait, I don't have a 'd'"
Aaron "I was just telling you that it is possible to do that."

several different boards:
Aaron "you can write a 7 letter word with those letters."
me "with these letters?"
Aaron "yup, those letters"
me " is it a word I know?"
Aaron "nope, never heard of it"



 Aaron getting the rice ready

Aaron cutting the broccoli.  I asked for broccoli and if you know Stephen, you know we rarely have broccoli in the house.


Clearly Aaron stopped to eat some brownie while cooking (thanks Rubin's for the delicious dessert).

Finished product:  broccoli and tofu with rice, very yummy

4 comments:

  1. That's my two youngest for you! I'm surprised, though that Rachel didn't mention "playing restaurant" and "kiddie Olympics". As their Mom, I'm glad they are spending this time together, but I sure wish it were for a more fun reason!

    ReplyDelete
  2. had a name change as you'll probably have guessed, but so you know this is yoni diamond. yeah aaron has always been pretty smart. smarter than me i have to admit, but thats not why i'm writing. we havent spoken in ages and ages but i just wanted to say i hope you have a full recovery and best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA! I really loved the WWF references and I can imagine the conversations in my head =) What a great post, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, I am reading every post and everything you write creates a picture in my head as if I was there in the room. Go Aaron, you are some brother and some cook!
    Waiting to hear that you can accomplish a new and happier sleeping position soon.

    ReplyDelete