Sunday, August 14, 2011

Words


Words:
After my first treatment I ended up in the hospital with a fever.  I approached my second treatment differently by trying to avoid people and sticking to my house. I wanted to avoid germs and make it through Round 2.  I had a lot of time sitting around with my computer.  I started playing this game.  They give you six letters and you have to make as many words as possible.  There is one special word highlighted. If you guess that word you move onto the next round.  Of course it is timed.  I had to find something to help keep my mind working.  Words are interesting. Lately, I have had a whole new list of words that are now part of my vocabulary.

Happy words:  survivor, hope, friends, faith, winner, pink, warrior, fight, Ma-ma (from Shua’s mouth),

Then there are the new words that can be somewhat scary.

Scary words: Cancer, chest port, Chemotherapy, neutropenia, side effects, surgery, bi-lateral mastectomy, drains, radiation, hospital, ct scan, mri (with contrast---IV needed),

Some words are little but have such big meaning.  “You can do it.”  I hear that phrase a lot.  I hear it from family members near and far, from friends old and new, and from myself.  Thank you to all the people that send encouraging messages, emails, phone calls, and cards. It might seem like a small action on your part but it really does help me get through the tough times.  Sometimes when I tell someone what I am going through and I explain that I have eight rounds or Chemotherapy, surgery, and then radiation, I often get a “sigh…wow, that is a lot.” It is a lot and a long journey.  I can’t look at the situation in the long term. I have to look at the situation in the “here and now.”  I take it one day at a time and one week at a time.  When I get bummed or start to panic I find myself saying (sometimes out loud) “I can do this!”

So Round 3 here I come.  I conquered Round 2 and am armed (with a Friends DVD) with the support of my family and friends and those small words “I can do this” to take on Round 3.

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much---Helen Keller

3 comments:

  1. Some more words to remember: " You go Girl! " (We're right behind you, trying to keep up.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other words, triumphant, brave, victorious, perseverance, determination, love, hugs, hot cocoa (well that makes me feel better, when I need a lift).
    Watching Morty and Stuart triumph over illness, I am confident you will too. You are in my thoughts daily. Sending love and hugs. Tell Ruthie, Mrs. Kwestel says hi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other words said together: "How YOU doin'?" "I love you Ema" "Run for Rachel" "Are you the grandmother?" "Make sure you suck on that ice pop the whole time" "Let me at that zoo guy" "Thank goodness; all we had was pink nailpolish"
    "Hugs and love" "You are gorgeous- without hair"
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete