Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Hunger


Hunger:
 I know what happens the days after Chemotherapy. I have been through this twice before.  However, each time it hits just a little harder.  I get this hungry feeling that can’t be filled.  They say don’t go food shopping when you are hungry.  Well, I did!  Elisheva and I strolled down the aisles of good old Shoprite.  (I don’t miss that place).  I even went down the “no-no aisles” such as the potato chip aisle and the cookie aisle.  Still it was a no go.  I didn’t see anything that my tummy craved.  Not too proud of what we came home with. 
   
 When I got home, I was a rebel and ate a pear. I am not supposed to have fresh fruits and vegetables.  This has been very hard for me, especially since it is summer time and fresh yummy fruit is everywhere.  I broke down and ate a pear. I didn’t even peal it.  Did it do the trick?  Not really, but it did get me a somewhat full feeling.  You would think that I would have lost 15 pounds by now.  Ha!  Not sure if it is all the liquid I drink or all the ice cream I am eating.

  I have come to realize that I need to eat when the hungry feeling comes.  Eat anything to make my stomach feel full.  It does relieve some of the hunger pains.  Of course what I eat doesn’t taste like I want it to taste like.  I just eat to make that feeling go away.  I love chocolate!  And that doesn’t taste like chocolate any more.  I love cheese and cheese has no flavor to me anymore. Of course I know that it is only temporary and in a few days the taste buds will be back. Just in time for the next round when they will disappear again.

  For those who were curious about my shopping cart.  It contained, one Elisheva, two tubs of ice cream, sprinkles, chocolate syrup, magic shell, (Ruthie is having a birthday play date and making sundays….I couldn’t physically throw her a party this year and she was so understanding), plums (yes I ate one when I got home), peaches, bananas, pasta, a chocolate bar, a birthday card for Ruthie, and a surprise for Nurse Kimmie.
I have a feeling that after Chemo and surgery I will need to join weight watchers or something.

"Soup and Salad" Joey Tribbiani

3 comments:

  1. Rachel, your spirits are inspiring. We are back from St Thomas. Let us know how long we have to de-germ before we can visit. Every day is another step forward. Remember ... Patience. One step at a time, one day at a time. BREATHE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really admire your "take charge" attitude. I think that is a big asset to have on this journey. I am in awe of how you are handling this battle.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting to listen to your take on what's happening to and around you. Keep fighting the fight, you're strong and will get through this. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers daily. Wish Ruthie a happy birthday for me. I'm sending hugs and love.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete