Sunday, September 4, 2011

Those That Serve


Those That Serve:

    This entry is a serious blog post which has nothing to do with Cancer or my treatment.  

    Most of you know that I teach 7th grade American History.  I love teaching history. Sometimes I really get into what I am teaching and read everything I can about the topic.  I don’t teach about WWII because that is an 8th grade topic.  However, I wanted to expand my knowledge on certain parts of WWII.  This summer, I started watching the t.v. series “Band of Brothers.”  First of all, wow!  It was very well done.  There were a few episodes that really hit home and made me think about things.  One episode was titled “Bastogne.”  The 101st were stuck in the woods during the winter.   The 101st lost a lot of men during this part of the war.  It really made me think about these young boys who were in fox holes in the middle of winter with trees exploding over them from German artillery.  They didn’t have proper clothing, food, or medical needs.  Several episodes later (Why we fight) the 101st comes upon a German work camp.  This is the first time the men and the officers see a German work camp and see what the Germans were doing to the Jewish people.  As I watched “Why We Fight,” my thoughts went back to the Bastogne scenes.  These young boys were fighting and doing the unthinkable without even really knowing what they were fighting for.  I learned a lot about the 101st and want to take some time to honor them for what they did.
    

     This brings to me current day.  There are so many men and women that are fighting so other people can have their freedom. It is so easy to go about our day without thinking of them and what they are doing.  I want to take a moment and thank all those that have served or are currently serving.  I want to thank my father, uncles, grandfather and cousin for serving.  I want to thank my brother Joey and his fellow graduates from West Point that went into the Army.  I want to thank my cousin Adam who is currently serving his country.   I know a lot of my blog followers think of me on a regular basis.  Now when you think of me take another moment and think of those that are away from home serving our country. 


Winters: [quoting from a letter Mike Ranney wrote to him]: I cherish the memory of a question my grandson asked me the other day, when he said: 'Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?' Grandpa said, "No. But I served in a company of heroes."


3 comments:

  1. Great blog.... thanks to those brave young men, my father was liberated from Buchenwald Concentration Camp on April 11, 1945.
    Thanks to those who continue to protect us every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, you have convinced me I must see this series someday. I'll watch for it to repeat or see it some other way. Yes, we should always remember those who defended us in the past and those who do so today.
    If you want some good books (historical novels) from Revolutionary War-post Civil War, try Sara Donati's books that start with "Into the Wilderness". I can get them for you if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to amaze me.
    You are an amazing woman - you have put aside your life for a moment and are focusing on what others are doing. Your children are so lucky to have such a wonderful role model.

    ReplyDelete