Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Two magical moments

Two magical moments...


Today my school had a wear pink for breast cancer day. Teachers could donate to a walk that I am participating in on Sunday in NYC in exchange for wearing denim. It was amazing to see all the pink and the support. I wore a pink shirt that said "I wear pink for myself." (thanks Dominque!)

In class one student said "I like your shirt." 
I said "thank you" and continued on with my lesson.
Another student responded with "wait, wait, wait, what do you mean you wear pink for yourself?"
He was genuinely concerned. 
I said "last year I had cancer." I won't lie I had tears in my eyes. I am not one for attention and didn't really want to think back to the chemo, surgery, and radiation. But I am a teacher and everything is a lesson. So I let the conversation take place.
The concerned student said "but your here? You are ok then? You beat it? Right?"
I looked him in the eyes and said with confidence "yes, I am ok and I beat the cancer"
Then from a girl in the back I hear, "you beat it with a baseball bat!"
In a second, my teary eyed face changed into a huge smile and I laughed. And of course, it was back to history because I run a tight ship.


Magical moment #2
After a long day and craziness with the three kids, I see Stephen in a Pink shirt. At first I didn't realize it was on purpose. I thought it was just random. Who knew pink could be so powerful?

Here is a little pink fun...

Here is a little more  pink fun


No comments:

Post a Comment