Sunday, October 21, 2012

Forget...



Forget…

It is so easy to forget.  Time passes and people forget. During Chemo, I forgot a lot.  I forgot the wash was in the machine.  I forgot to take my hat off before stepping into the shower.  I forgot to pack Ruthie bagels for lunch one day…..ooops…

Last October (10/24) I sat in a chair and had my last dose of chemo pumped into my body.  I knew the following days were going to be hell because it was Taxol that was being infused into my body.   



However, at the end of the week, my friends, family, and colleagues had planned a walk for me.  I was psyched. I was pumped. I knew the Taxol was going to be super painful but the walk was going to be my light at the end of the tunnel.  There were going to be tons of people there and I couldn’t let them down. I had to go and I had to walk. I had to show everyone that I was going to be ok.

Well……funny thing happened…..it snowed…..and snowed…..and snowed……and people were snowed in and people lost power.   

The walk was cancelled and I was bummed.  I had already learned that you can’t change some things and you just have to deal with them and move on.  So I moved on…..

May came and I walked with a friend and members of my town. I had just had surgery not too long ago so I was exhausted and couldn’t do the entire mile or so.  I was disappointed with myself but vowed that I will get back to that walk and run it next year.  So this May, I hope many of you will join me in my journey and run or walk with me.


A few months ago, my dear friend Adele asked me if I wanted to walk with her in NY City.   I wanted to but wasn’t sure how well I would do. Time passed by and Adele continued to send me emails and asking me to sign up with her.  Of course it was during the last week of pre-sign-ups and I signed up and got myself ready for the walk.  Totally didn’t read all of what I was signing up for.  I signed up for a five mile walk in Central Park.  What a beautiful day it turned out to be.  Not a snowflake in the sky.  There were tons and tons of people there.  Most of the people were not survivors but just ordinary people who were walking to raise money to help find a cure for cancer.  I was sort of a celebrity since I was a survivor. I went to the front of the line for the start of the walk. They usually have the survivors go to the front.  There was a father standing there with two girls who were about Ruthie and Elisheva’s age.  He said to them “girls, you know how I said we would see a survivor, she is a survivor.”  After hearing this, I turned to the girls and said, “Yes, I am a survivor and I have girls your age.  Thank you for walking.”  Then as we walked, there were people constantly saying “we have a survivor here” and then lots of cheering.  It was totally spirit lifting and motivating.  So let’s not forget where we were a year ago and let’s not forget where we are today.
I had an amazing day!  I had an amazing time living life and being so thankful to be ALIVE and to be a SURVIVOR!


I came home to a nice surprise from Stephen!



1 comment:

  1. You "get it." Congratulations and keep moving forward.

    ReplyDelete