Monday, January 23, 2012

Radiation...it is what I do....


Radiation….it is what I do….

Many people ask me about radiation and I get a lot of  “so what is it like?”  Honestly, I didn’t really know what to expect.  I brought my brother to the radiologist appointment before I started.  The doctor said a lot of information and I sort of zoned out.  I knew that my brother was taking it all in and would explain it to me when my mind was ready to understand it. I didn’t want to do radiation but just like chemo, I had no choice.  I had two sessions where they worked on making my mold and setting me all up for my daily zaps of radiation.  

So here is how it goes.

2:10-2:15: big yellow busses start pulling into the school to pick up the kids.  Just as the kids get excited to see them and know that school is almost over, I too register that I have a few more minutes to make sure I have taught what I needed to for the day.

2:20:  bell rings and my last class filters into the hall.  I stand on hall duty and encourage the students to go home.  Many of them stay and chat and slowly pack their bags.  Funny how they can’t wait to leave the classroom but love to hang out in the hallway.

2:35ish: the busses depart and I make my way to my car.  Hopefully, I head to right spot and get in.  There are those days that I say “where did I park again?” or ”Oh yeah, the row was filled and I had to go somewhere else, now where was that?”

2:50ish: I pull up to the hospital where I am doing radiation. I park and go inside.  I have to announce myself to the secretaries each time.  By law I have to say my name.  It is funny they just smile at me at first until I say my name.  I know that they know my name and they know that I know that they know my name….so it always makes me smile.

3:00ish: Sometimes I don’t get to sit down and they will call me right back.  Then there are other times where I sit down and peruse the magazines.  I usually like the quiet time at doctor offices to check out the latest gossip magazines and get caught up on what is happening in the entertainment world.  However, I go to radiation every day, so I have already checked out all the fun magazines.  One day I read Southern Living.  It was definitely different than Us Weekly.  When I am called, I go through the doors and head to the women’s changing area.  I actually read the sign every time. I know that one of these days, I will be in my own little world thinking about something else and almost go into the wrong room.

In the changing room, I select a locker and take the key. I then proceed to get undressed which is still somewhat challenging. I wear stretchy shirts so that I can just pull my arms out easily.  I then put on the lovely hospital gown.  I then wait in the next area for them to call my name.  In this section, I stare at magazines up on a wall. I could take one down but I usually get called rather quickly.  The magazines stare back and me and say things like “how did I get cancer?” or “defeat cancer.” 

3:10ish:  I have now been called back to the radiation room.  I get to lie on this table.  They place a sheet down which makes it somewhat slippery.  I get into the right position.  I fit into the mold that I made several weeks ago.  I turn my head to the right and place my arm up over my head. I usually place my hand on my hat to keep it from falling out of place.  I then lie there and listen to them measure and line me up. Every other day I have this thing placed over the spot to help bring the radiation closer to the surface.  The techs are great.  They usually have loud music playing which totally helps me forget that I am half naked lying on a table with people measuring and prodding.  The music totally helps me forget that I am getting ready to be zapped.


3:15ish:  The zapping begins.  The machine moves around and I get three different zaps.  Each blast last about 30-40 seconds. I do not count “Mississippily.” (now who got that reference?)  When I start to hear the zapping noise, I usually close my eyes and count. I think about being on a beach in Hawaii on a nice summer night.  I think about the smell of the ocean and the feel of the warm sun.  Then the zapping stops and I open my eyes.  After the last set of zaps, I just lay there until they come in and I hear “ok Rachel, you can put your arm down and cover up.”  I think and say out loud “9 done, roughly 21 more to go.”

3:30ish: I collect the children (Thanks to Adele and my mom they are usually waiting for me in the parking lot) and head home to start the evening of homework, dinner, baths, and chase the Shua. 

Radiation….it is what I do….

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, I am amazed at how well you are handling everything. I know you must be exhausted by the time you put your head on your pillow each night. Soon this will all be in the past and you can really enjoy some time on the beach! Love you!

    ReplyDelete