Thursday, May 10, 2018

Why I run....

Why do I run?




I used to run all the time as a teen. Throughout high school and college I could be found running through the streets of my town on a regular basis. I got married and had a few kids.  I got away from the running for a bit. Then I got sick and yearned to run again. There was something about being able to go outside and push my limits with a run.


I am turning 40 in about a month.  I decided that I am going to check running a half marathon off my bucket list.


It is not going to be just any half marathon.


Five years ago I ran a half of a half marathon in Las Vegas with my sister-in-law Devorah.  Together we raised over 8,000 dollars for Chai Lifeline. Five years ago running 6 miles was extremely hard for me.  Those were post chemo and radiation days. My feet hurt me all the time. Training for 6 miles was a painful experience.  


Five years later-  I am going back but this year I will run the half marathon.  My feet don’t hurt me nearly as much as they did five years ago.  Don’t get me wrong, there are still side effects from the chemo and radiation that I will live with forever. But I will not let them slow me down!


This race will be a true challenge for me.  I have been thinking about running this race for over a year now.  I go back and forth on wanting to sign up. I will have to train for this race.  The training is on me and I will not let you down.


I am aiming to raise $5,000.  I did it once before and I am counting on you to help me do it again.  Over the next couple of weeks, I hope to write a few blogs. In these blogs, I will explain why I am running for Chai Lifeline.  I will explain why this organization is so important and how it connects to my life. I hope that I can convince you to be a part of this journey with me.


So what do you say? Are you in?

https://www.teamlifeline.org/team-lifeline-vegas/rachelisler

I have this to hang my half marathon medal on.

No comments:

Post a Comment